HOA Developer Transition Checklist

The Declarant/Developer should provide the homeowner controlled board

with the following documents, materials and assurances

A Developer Transition Checklist is vital to use for a Condo and HOA

Transition Checklist

Declarant Documents

Declaration or Master Deed and any supplements thereto as recorded and evidence that they have been provided to each owner

Public offering Statement or other Dicl0sure Document provided to purchasers

List of all owners, name and address of mortgage companies with the individual loan number of each owner

Certification that all future sales be registered with the association

Certification that all rules, regulations, and restrictions were adopted following appropriate public notice and discussions with affected owners

Original copies of all contracts signed by the developer-controlled board

Original copies of all employment contracts in which the association is a contracting party

Insurance policies in which the association, or its directors and officers are named as insured persons

Inventory of all tangible property belonging to the association

Association Documents

Original or certified copy of the recorded Declaration and supplements and amendments, if any, and evidence that it has been provided to each owner

Articles of Incorporation and acceptance by the State Corporation Commission

Bylaws, including all properly adopted amendments

Book of Resolutions

Book of board meeting minutes and associated books and records

Rules, regulations, and procedures adopted by the board

Deeds or properties owned by the association or subject to the declaration

Tax Returns – Federal & State since creation of the association

Any tax exempt election made the developer’s board and filed with the state and federal government

Association budget, including backup worksheets and detailed narrative

Certified audit, prepared by an independent CPA, of the association’s books form the association’s inception to the date of transfer of control

Set of financial books, records, ledgers, and bills paid dating back to the first date of operations

All association funds or control of them including transfer of bank signature cards


Set of “as built” drawings of all buildings, facilities, irrigation, and water and sewer systems that the association owns or will be responsible for maintaining

Assure water retention plans and blueprints are recorded and clearly show maintenance responsibility

As many sets of tract maps as possible (to help in planning and maintenance of the grounds)

Inventory of all association property

Set of landscape drawings and specifications showing all plants, lawns, etc

Quantities of association owned properties such as square feet of private road, sidewalks, trails, painted surface areas, lawn surface, trees, bushes,etc

Schedule of useful expected life of products and materials owned or maintained by the association, including roofs, streets, paint, mechanical equipment, etc

Copies of all warranties on all equipment and property owned or maintained by the association

Specifications and a list of manufacturers or paints, siding, roofing materials, etc., used in common areas

List of the construction contractors with contact names and routing & emergency telephone numbers


Statement that all streets, traffic, safety, and regulatory signs are installed in conformance with applicable state or local ordinances and with the association’s legal documents

Confirmation from city or county authorities that the fire hydrants have been place under the local government maintenance plan

Confirmation that city of county emergency communications centers have mapped the association for the dispatch of emergency vehicles; make sure that addresses on private streets are visible to emergency personnel

Statement of determination of public agency or utility maintenance responsibility for the street lights and sewer system

Statement that appropriate public agencies have or have not released the completion bonds on the improvements where those bonds are required

Certificates of occupancy and/or other permits used by governmental bodies

(reprinted from The Virginia Community Association Network)